Sunday, January 30, 2005

My Belated Update On Xmas 2004 & School (Teaching)

Ok, not really Christmas in its entirety, but the gift highlights I loved. Thank you to all my church friends for your gifts. I think we should continue to do this -- to feel obligated to go gift-shopping during the festive period for each other. I was worrying my head off about what to get for everyone and I almost hated the feeling, but at the end of the day, I loved seeing faces lighting up when they receive a little parcel. (= I must never get too old for Christmas presents (both giving and receiving).


Here's a bu4-dao3-ong1 basketball see-through clock that my sister got for me. I have plonked it on my teacher's desk to help me keep track of the end of recess (10:25Am) where I have to stop my marking in the comforts of the air-con staff room and go out to get my Primary 2 class in line before I walk them up to our second floor classroom.


A gift box from Desmond! It contained a black T-shirt (Desmond got a few of us the same T-shirt, but in different colours) that was a tad too small, but nevertheless, I love the box! I love boxes.


And from a darling Ren, a Tweety metallic pencil-case containing 4 whiteboard markers and a very personalised handwritten note. I have been carrying this in a basket that I bring everywhere I go in school. Guess what I put inside them? Markers, of course! Ren had mentioned in that note that he was inspired to get me this gift because he had a school teacher who carried a similar metal container around for lessons (he must have really liked that teacher).


There was a CCA Carnival -- well, sort of. I was in-charged of the Drama display. The other teacher-in-charge came up with face-paint as an easy and quick way out of planning some elaborate dramatic display (which was near impossible to achieve given that we were only 2 weeks into the new year of school and no CCA had official started). Although all the students were allowed to roam around freely to explore all CCAs in the different venues, the majority of my Primary 2 babies stayed with me in the AVA room and enjoyed the face-painting. I tried to offer a hand. I had completely no prior experience using face-paint. Taking an easy way out, I shouted, "Who wants to be an Incredible?"
Not too surprisingly, I had 3 willing and eager girls who allowed me to smudge black stuff around their eyes.
The second Haiggy in this line-up is a Channel 8 actress. She stars in the 9PM show, "My Lucky Charm" as Chew Chor Meng's character's daughter.


I was forced to resurrect my sad art skills when all Primary 3 art teachers were entrusted the task of getting a life-size doll up for the school's coming arts festival (themed: "Dolls On Wheels" -- basically art forms from all over the world). Who would expect Primary 3s to produce a head for the wire-mesh cone-structure skeleton that we were all provided with? Thus, the teacher has no choice but to do a quick one or face the consequences of going tardy on the deadline.
Any woman will know that this botak doll head's artist has absolutely close to zero experience with applying make-up.

No comments: