Friday, September 24, 2004

A Friendly Letter

[enlarge by clicking to view a legible size]
I didn't realise how I had impacted this Primary 2 girl. I was in her class for only one lesson, observing a teacher I would be co-teaching with. I walked around as they were doing their work and gave a few casual words of praise to some of them on their work; this Mridula was one of them. Later in her classroom assignment (writing a letter), she wrote one to me.
The girls, especially the younger ones, absolutely adore their teachers. While I was eating at the teachers' table in the canteen, a row of girls stood about 3 metres away, entertained and fulfilled just watching me eat.
Once, when I was having a baby bowl of hei-mee (prawn noodles) alone, this Primary 5 girl from one my 'observing' classes, came up to my table and made herself comfortable. Students are not allowed to seat at the teachers' table, so she conveniently bent over the table, plonked her elbows at the corner, rested her chin in her hands and watched me eat while ranting a monologue on how she finds her form teacher "cute" (the word at which I choked on my hei-mee). The Indian girl's name is Chua Kai Ying.
During the teachers' photo-taking session in the foyer after school, the girls in the canteen nearby area ceased their activity to come watch us being arranged by the photographer and having the flashlights at us. At the end of the 10-minute sport, the girls applauded.

No comments: