Wednesday, January 07, 2004

The Much Delayed (now much condensed due to the loss of memory with the passage of time) Account of My Malaysian Trip (26-28 December)

Another shopping spree in ringgit. The fact that I can buy everything while giving my Mum the impression that they are twice as expensive in Singapore (even if it isn’t) is the secret behind the 2:1 ringgit appeal to Singaporeans.

On a graver note, I observed to some horror, my Mum, along with my relatives (grandma & aunties), aging. The manner in which they are aging is rather frightful actually: the older they get, the louder they speak, the more instances they talk simultaneously. And worse yet – in the claustrophobia-inducing enclosure of the car (made this way due to the dominant presence of 4 loud women talking in a raucous high-pitched chorus at the top of their voices).

My 12-year-old cousin Zachary, 14-year-old sister Cui, and I kept silent in apathy, bewilderment and survival instincts respectively. While Zach made several futile attempts to turn up the volume of his noise-making FM channel and my sister sat in the gait of a motion-sick creature, I mused on the thought of my semi-deaf second Aunt’s husband being the most blessed man against the backdrop of aging wives.

No comments: