Monday, March 29, 2004

Journey Home

I was on my way home after my National Skin Centre treatment today.

Opposite me on the MRT was an old couple. The man was carrying a National Cancer Centre plastic bag full of medicine. The two were so sullen and sad-looking. I don't know whether that's the default expression of that old couple or was it the aftermath of the hospital visit, but it made me feel so sad.

I almost cried on the MRT, just looking at them. I teared.

I wasn't feeling so much for the dying party. I was feeling more for the one to be left behind. Not just being left behind, but slowly watching her partner go and knowing that it's a one-way process. No turning back.
Later, I did also think about what it was like to be him. To know his life is heading towards a bleak end. To be leaving his wife behind and trying to find ways to make the remaining time bearable and good for both of them.

I thought about Ly too.

No comments: