Wednesday, April 14, 2004

The Normalcy Of Weilinghood Has Resumed In My Life

The way it should be.

Tuition, driving, swimming, jogging, cooking, baking, Thursday paktor days, spending my nights in the cosiness of home…

Unfortunately, my hair has been murdered with the harsh hairspray applied in generous proportions 5 days consecutively during the “Secrets From My Room” production week. My locks have not recovered, and it has been more than 2 weeks. I’m resigned to the fact that my hair is deceased. I shall chop it off (in whichever style I should soon decide on), and await new growth. I hope it was really the CFC-filled environmental-unfriendly hairspray that has caused the damage and not the dehydrating effect brought about by age. I suppose I shall only know when there is a substantial amount of hairlings for me to make a judgement on their texture.

It’s depressing not having a single good hair day the last few weeks. Really, it is.

Summer is approaching. I can feel it.

I opened the car door into my head on Sunday. I couldn’t quite shit for that day because it was such a bad knock on some vein on my forehead that when I exerted the anal muscles, my head hurt.

I’ve been learning driving in the mornings three times a week. I can’t believe I’ve attained the ability to drive from Comfort Driving School to Tampines and past my home! It was exhilarating passing my home in a car, without either parent or boyfriend in the driver’s seat for the first time.

I’ve also been reading Alice in Wonderland (for the last few months actually), courtesy of Ly’s growing library of children’s books as he pursues his teaching degree in English Language and Literature.
Here’s a piece of trivia: Lewis Carroll’s fascination with the quirky character of Alice was likely related to the man’s interest in little girls. He had a stammer that would only disappear when he was around little girls. The man also prided himself in the nonsense he wrote for children, consciously not conforming to the obligation and habit of Victorian writers to write moralistic literature.

The book is ridiculously amusing with it’s “uncommon nonsense” (a phrase found in the book, playing on the phrase “common sense”).
I haven’t been particularly fond of others planting huge chunks of their favourite literary works (apparently song lyrics included) on their blogs, because I barely have the motivation to read them because of their sheer length and when I do, I understand them not.

Nevertheless, here I am as I risk breaking my blog morality code.
Here are three of my favourite excerpts, concise and hopefully appreciatable:

After Alice fell through the rabbit’s hole into Wonderland and underwent several physical alterations in size…
“Curiouser and curiouser!” cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English)

Alice’s conversation with the infamous grinning Cheshire puss…
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go form here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,” said the Cat.
“I don’t much care where – ” said Alice.
“Then it doesn’t matter which way you go,” said the Cat.


Conversation between Alice and the Mad Hatter at the Mad Tea-Party:
“I think you might do something better with the time,” she said, “than waste it in asking riddles that have no answers.”
“If you knew Time as well as I do,” said the Hatter, “you wouldn’t talk about wasting it. It’s him.”


A summary of what I love about the nonsensical book is it’s nonsensical sense. Lewis Carroll made nonsense sound so logical.

Well, I pray thee tell me now how readable, understandable and likeable my first attempt at quoting literature is. The comment box is on the right.

No comments: